MD Communications is a state of the art Communications Center, employing 38 certified Emergency Medical Dispatchers, all of whom are also certified Emergency Fire Dispatchers. We are proud to be recognized as a Center of Excellence by the National Academy of Emergency Dispatch, an honor we have held since 2000, a total of 6 consecutive Accreditations. Maintaining this level of certification requires strict compliance to the highest standards of accuracy and efficiency. We are the only Accredited Center of Excellence in Saskatchewan, and the fourth Center in Canada to attain this achievement.
Our Telecommunicators are dedicated to the highest level of customer service. Our center upholds a zero minute response time by providing immediate assistance at the emergency scene, instructing the caller over the phone with CPR, choking, childbirth, bleeding control, and other trauma or medical situations. We are the First-“First Responders”. We gather location and patient information. Ours is a non-visual environment, so we need to develop skills for handling emotionally upset or hysterical callers. We must instantly teach untrained people what to do, in the heat of the moment, while doing a non-visual scene and patient assessment. Scenes can be chaotic or dangerous and we are responsible for communicating all vital information to responding crews.
What it takes
Curious about a career with Communications? Try answering the following self-assessment questions to see if it is a good fit with your personality and lifestyle.
- Are you willing to work a 12 hour, rotating shift schedule, where you work 2 or 3 dayshifts followed by 2 or 3 nightshifts?
- Are you willing to work weekends and holidays?
- You will be working 12 hour shifts with paid breaks and lunch periods. Are you willing to work through breaks, when necessary?
- Are you willing to take directions from a Supervisor?
- Are you able to type accurately and quickly and speak to someone at the same time?
- Are you able to listen to several conversations and make quick, accurate decisions, based on what is said?
- Are you willing to speak with traumatized or hysterical people in a professional manner or deal calmly with angry people?
- Are you willing to deal with a crisis call where a child might have died, a rescuer is injured, or a woman has been assaulted, and then set it aside and continue calmly with your next call?
- Are you willing to work in an environment where all communication, telephone/radio/computer, is recorded?
Our Hiring Process and Requirements include:
1. Perfex Test (Multi-Tasking) – 70% Minimum
2. Testing Day – The candidate will go through a series of tests:
- Entry Exam – 50 EMD Questions – Need mark of 80% to Proceed
- Typing Speed Test (35 WPM with 95% accuracy)
- EMD Knowledge Exam
- Perfex Test (multitasking) – 70% minimum
- Personality Profile (Wonderlic)
- Call Scenario – Emergency (ProQA call) taped and graded
- Call Scenario – Customer Service –taped and graded
*There is a $50 application and testing fee, due on the Testing Day
3. Interview Day – Successful Candidates will be invited to a Panel Interview
4. Candidates who have been hired will be required to provide proof of:
- Valid EMD & EFD Certifications and CPR level C Certification
- Hearing Test certificate
- Criminal Record Check documentation
- * See www.emergencydispatch.org Certification-course links (EMD and EFD) for locations, dates times and registration information.